Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

How long is too long?

7 months ago
Would a story having a lot of choices/decisions/chapters turn you off from reading it?

I’m pretty sure my current story will exceed 100 choices and am going ‘oh damn.’ 😂

How long is too long?

7 months ago

I mean there's a story on here that's a million words long. Pretty sure you'll be fine in that department.

Having "too much choice" on a site dedicated to CYOAs isn't usually an issue unless you're loading it up with choices that don't really mean much in the story, like say having a bunch of choices for what the character looks like and literally none of it really matters.

How long is too long?

7 months ago
Longer games are a pretty well respected tradition and have more staying power, you'll see most of the top rated games are pretty sizeable. But they don't accumulate the instant feeeback the way an 800 word shitpost will. There's quite a few here still on on my "I'd like to someday" list simply because when I see a literally novel length word count I know I gotta make some uninterupted time for that. When these days I'm so unfocused that even sitting down to answer DMs can slip past me.

However the consensus is still that bigger is better, and the authors of such games will get the primo spots in the CYS cult compound and the least mutated concubines when the guzzoline runs out.