Non-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Keep up with the latest contests and find out what's been changing with the site.

The Damned and the SHAMED results (Finally)

5 months ago

Yeah so Mizal has been a little busy lately with stuff, so there's no point in letting this linger into the void. 

So I'll just get right to it. TCat won.

Congratulations, your excellent productivity here is everything I expect in a daughter of mine. 

The rest of you that turned in something, your duty has been noted. The ones that didn't, your SHAME has also been noted.

That is all.

5 months ago
To be clear, I was always going to string this along till Thanksgiving, but everyone was being so apathetic and unfun anyhow I just got bored with you guys in the meantime. Nobody seemed to care either way.

Of course, if all contestants had been willing to spend ten minutes pretending to care about other people's writing instead of straight up ignoring me when I pointed them directly at the Thunderdome voting, perhaps I would've relented. But I guess we'll never know.

(Thank you and congrats to Petros, Zake, DBNB, and Fresh by the way. And only them.)

5 months ago
Congrats TCat! And congrats to all the other contestents.

5 months ago
I do want to say though that I've definitely noticed Darius being especially active with comments on these. (And in general.) There'd be basically no feedback on most of the entries without him. So that's appreciated.

Petros and Zake and DBNB all managed at least one as well.

(As generally annoyed as I've been by this contest, it did seem to bring Zake back out of the woodwork in a good way so I'm happy about that too.)

5 months ago

Thank you very much to End and Fresh for the moral support.

5 months ago
Despite this contest being apathy manifest, it did result in a handful of nice stories for the site, so thank you for hosting, Miz.

5 months ago
The apathy goes in every direction to be fair, only my no longer giving a crap led to me not disqualifying everyone who didn't vote and passing the win to Zake.

We did get a few good storygames, I sincerely hope they attract the attention of a passing swarm of 7th graders so that they'll be read.

5 months ago
Yeah, thanks for hosting. I was pretty busy compared to my usual, but I liked what I got to write. I plan on at least reading and reviewing DBNB's and Zake's within the near future

5 months ago
Commended by mizal on 12/3/2023 9:23:47 PM
Congrats to TCat (and the other successful entrants)!
I was going to draw two statues, but as I'm not really drawing as much as tracing, and getting one done took a while, I embraced the apathy and stopped at one. (If you google faceless statue you should find my main 'reference'.)

I think the short deadline (that then got extended once or twice) proved beneficial for my motivation. My ambitious plan was to have the first draft, then go over it to improve the writing. Scripting was a gamble because bugs tend to be pretty bad for immersing oneself in a story (will get to fixing some soon) but it was fun enough in the moment.

Darius noticed the issue of all dialogue being the same voice, which is something I worried about during writing, but figured 'that's what drafts are for!'. It worked as far as finishing something went, but it didn't work in that I ran out of time for the second draft, aha. More planning beforehand might be a way to improve the first draft, but I do think having more than one writing pass would lead to much better results.

Goal is to not have bugs, have better character voices, and maybe be a little more on theme next time. I think if I had done those three things I might've won! However, I'm glad enough to have submitted something complete, and that is a win enough (for now).

5 months ago
I did come across one scripting error, but I think it was the same is Darius mentioned. I went ahead just now and gave you the personal editor role though in case you want to make any fixes without having to unpublish first.

5 months ago
Ah, that is convenient, don't need to find a pile of bugs first to feel justified in unpublishing. Will fix the ones I know about now. Shout out to DBNB for sharing some too.

5 months ago

Congratulations to TCat and all the others who turned something in! I am not worthy.

5 months ago
Well just in case anyone does want to read them, here are the games in order of publication: My Possessions by fresh_out_the_oven Just Another Saturday Night by DBNB Isaac's Sacrifice by a noob whose name is hard to spell The Lonely Inn by Petros Hues of Infection by Zake Legend by TypewriterCat And crystalpenguin's story was posted early and then taken down for low ratings, leaving one to wonder what those multiple extensions were even for. We did get a handful of good additions to the site either way though, and given the total drop off of site activity afterwards I am satisfied that we wouldn't have gotten any more entries had you guys been given the traditional month+ to finish. For science, this also proved that the SHAMED are just chronically unable to get their shit together and that shortening the time given wasn't enough to kick them into gear on this stuff. But I still reserve my right to be pissy about this contest because I had envisioned those final weeks being set aside for increasingly outlandish excuses for not judging, bants, and a wholesome Thanksgiving Activity. Which I'll just save for next year. Maybe. Now spend the next 11 months thinking about what you've done.