Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Page Linking Question

4 months ago
Hi!

Is there a way to link to branching pages within the actual text of a page, instead of just in bullet points at the bottom? For example, if I wanted to make a page that linked to a mini "side adventure" type situation, how would I do that?

Ex: Blah blah normal text "in a dream" (this specific set of words links to its own page with its own branching options)
Blah blah text
>> Option 1 for main story
>> Option 2 for main story

I've looked through most of the articles and tried looking back a bit through the forum posts, but I can't seem to find anything that answers this question, so I'm wondering if it is even possible or if I'm just blind, lol.

Page Linking Question

4 months ago
That sounds like twine

Page Linking Question

4 months ago
You can technically move links around, but you don't do it with the editor, you do it with javascript (or so I heard).

Generally, better to play to the tools strengths, so using twine is the much easier option. You could probably write it with twine then post the finished story in the forums. I'm sure people would be amazed at a finished non-linear twine story.

Page Linking Question

4 months ago
Why are you guys telling a recovering Twiner to just use Twine?

But no, the editor does not include that kind of thing as a default setting, it was built to emulate the old gamebooks more than anything. A lot of customization is possible with HTML and javascript, but somebody really smart would have to tell you how to do this.

You might consider using items to open up hidden pages or side quests. You can also restrict whether a link is visible at all based on variables, if you want them to only show up if a player has encountered certain information for instance.