Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Line breaks in conditional text?

10 months ago
Looked through most of the guides (at least the ones that seemed relevant) and couldn't find if it's possible. I am using the conditions to reduce the amount of pages and avoid artificial word count bloat, but having to place each paragraph in a separate condition makes me feel like a retard and also creates pointless line breaks if there's an uneven amount of lines which makes the page look weird.

10 months ago
As long as you're using the basic editor just adding the html code for a new line is enough. If you're trying to script it entirely, doing it in the page script is the easiest way, because then you just do a series of:

IF %VALUE = 4 THEN BEGIN
$PAGETEXT := $PAGETEXT + "Words for the paragraph and HTML"
END

With the new line being manually added at the begin/end (whatever your preference).

10 months ago
Got it working. Thanks.

10 months ago
He probably saw Anthraxus's newest thread where line breaks were breaking the on page scripting. But he was using the RTE so I assume was the problem, I'm just not sure exactly why.

10 months ago
Initially I tried to just put a line break inside on page scripts but those resulted in scripts not compiling so I had to split each line into a separate set of scripts which worked fine as long as there was an equal amount of lines in each variation which wasn't hard to achieve up until I got to the endings and stuff. With page script I can format it properly, but i need to replace apostrophes and quotation marks with HTML codes for them because the compiler treats them all as the same thing and bugs out.

10 months ago
Quotation marks I get, they break the compiler as thats how you're adding to the page text, but apostrophes should be fine. I have apostrophes in a global page text in koi koi and it works without issue.

10 months ago
I did some testing and it's actually only the curved apostrophe ’ that breaks it because for some reason it accepts it as a closing marker for a straight quotation mark ". A straight apostrophe ' doesn't funny enough. I have never seen anything like it I must admit.